Thursday, October 17, 2024

MPI Day 7 - Geometric Thinking

 It was great today to be reminded of the Class on Air resource, and see the search and filter functions this morning. I feel this is a resource I often forget to utalise in my planning. 

Subitising is a new concept name for me as I had not heard it before. I found the linked resource amazing and have already linked an activity to my class programming with the intent on doing many more with my students.

The site of Math Playground is new for me and has so many great activities and progressions. I have added thr symmetry painter activity to my planning as a warm up to help refresh some of our previous learning from earlier this year.

Mathigon is yet another new site for me this session. The courses especially seem to be quite extensive, and I think this will be a fantastic tool for my classroom, especially for my higher learners whom I can at times find extending appropriatly difficult.

It was great to spend time today going through concepts that I have already taught this year, and to see some different ways of approaching these, and also how they translate in our new draft curriculum document. It is always helpful when my own professional learning can be tailored to what is current in the profession, and MPI is most definitly adjusting each session to the new information, while not getting rid of the good practice and content. I am feeling confident that the learning I am doing will still be relevent in years to come for myself and my students.

Coming out of today, I am excited to have a list of strategies, resources and misconceptions that I will be taking with me into my classroom planning and daily practice. It has been good to have models and tasks revisited briefly from previous days (frayer model/figure it out online resources/Jo Boalar/tip charts/talk moves/rich tasks etc). Polypad was heaps of fun to explore and I can see fantastic potential for this tool too.






2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Sarah,
    Class on air is a great resource of fantastic videos and resources and I agree with you it is often forgotten about. You have reminded me to share it more across our cluster. I will add it to our next newsletter. Subitising is old and has come and gone over the years in the different maths curriculums. It is great for recognising patterns and getting students to connect and see patterns. Using their multiplication and division skills. I am glad it is mentioned in the new draft curriculum.
    There are many great resources and online tools to support learning. I am keen to hear what your senior students think of Mathigon, playground, symmetry paint and polypad.
    Thanks for your great reflections.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna, There have been a number of neat things along this process that are far from new but new for me. I think that may be my favourite thing overall. I will keep you updated on how those resources go in my class. They are loving Mathfactlab and I am loving the reports on it!

    ReplyDelete

MPI Day 7 - Geometric Thinking